Monday, November 7, 2011

dear Readers

Since Norah was born, I have struggled, every Doctor's appointment, to give her the large amount of vaccines recommended by Doctors. We have not had any severe adverse reactions to vaccines. She has had some very minor ones, but nothing too worrisome. I felt however, frustrated with myself that I was allowing her to be vaccinated with dozens of different vaccines, while I stayed greatly uneducated about side-effects, possible severe adverse reactions and also the positive side of vaccines. So I recently have been trying to educate myself on vaccines, particularly before little boy comes. Now I have to be open and honest. I am not anti-vaccines. I am not pro-vaccines. Where I stand at this point, is pro-choice for the administration of my child's vaccines. I want to decide which vaccines my children receive and when they receive them. I believe strongly that our children receive too many vaccines at a time. I have yet to decide if I believe they should receive less, or not. The bottom line is that I feel uncomfortable with my lack of understanding and knowledge when it comes to vaccines. I have a feeling that I am not the only one of us, my friends, to feel that way. So, I wanted to share with you two resources that have been helpful recently, in my study:
-This is a link to a video that is (for the moment) free to view. I don't know how long that will be the case, so if you are interested, I'd jump on it. http://vimeo.com/31036452
As I watch the video, I feel it is for the most part, anti-vaccine or anti-some vaccines. So, be forewarned. However, it has opened my eyes and given me some information, I may not have otherwise received.
-I also have been reading a book, which I really like. It is called the Vaccine Book by Dr. Robert W. Sears. It is NOT an anti-vaccine book. Dr. Sears is in fact, a pediatrician who vaccinates his own children, but explains vaccines in more detail. He breaks down each vaccine, their components, potential adverse reactions, and the pros and cons of getting the vaccine. It has been VERY helpful in my learning process.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to any of you with my same feelings. I would also be so grateful if you would pass on to me, any information or research you have done on vaccinations: the importance of and potential hazards of. Thanks!!!
love,
em

4 comments:

JenErik said...

Erik could tell you a thing or too about vaccinations :)

Sean said...

Thank you for these resources! Heidi and I have been talking about this a lot lately... Only 2 weeks left to till the 2 month shots, so we want to figure this out quick.

Glad t know someone else has the same questions we do!

krista jo said...

I go back on this forth too . . . and also have wanted to research, so thanks for the links. Maybe this is the kick in the pants I needed!

Brittons of Provo said...

Thanks for sharing. I love that you are educating yourself, I think that's one of the most important things we can do as parents. I have tidally been thinking about this a lot recently since Gabe just started school. We have not vaccinated, in large part due to my family's medical history. A website I looked at a lot is thinktwice.com. It is anti vaccine, but it has a lot of information about specific shots. I have also been reading the book, "Vaccines: are they really safe and effective?". My biggest problem has been mandated vaccines. I don't mind what people choose to do, but I was very frustrated that NY only allows religious exemptions to permit entrance into the school system. I really want for people to be able to choose what they believe is best for their family, without having to jump through so many hoops. Anyway...sorry about that rant! Good luck in your research, I love Dr. sears, he is one of my favorites!