Friday, July 29, 2011

dear Dad


Happy Birthday Daddy! We enjoyed tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches today. The tomato soup can said it was from 2008, but it's all we had. :) Norah picked you out of all the family pictures for about 30 minutes. She couldn't get enough. We went to the swimming pool, which although you wouldn't have enjoyed, reminded me of you nonetheless. You are a dad who "shows up". I felt so blessed that Norah was able to swim with her dad who "shows up". How blessed she and I are to have a dad who wants to be a part of the adventure, wants to spend time with us and forgets the rest of the world while doing so. If we were able to spend this day with you, we'd be eating meat pies, probably up at the cabin. We'd sing "It's a birthday" and you'd sit there smiling, rosy-cheeked and moist-eyed. We'd give you a present, probably a book and you'd make us feel as if it were the best present in the world. I'd kiss your always soft cheek and you'd swing Norah by her jeans. You'd pat Bri on the back in your reassuring way and say "How are you buddy?"

Thank you for leaving us with memories to last our entire lifetime. We will continue to feast upon them. We love you, our Daddy and Opa. Happy Birthday!
xo-
Bri, Emily and Norah

7 comments:

Stizz said...

This is sweet. I'm glad you can look back and have good memories of you dad. I think of what a blessing that is to have after they're gone and how some people, when looking back may only have a few good memories to choose from. And you do have a great husband, I can tell by the way he treats you and Norah and others (you can tell him that, but don't let it go to his head ;)). It makes me happy to know that my friends are blessed. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Love you lady. And Happy Birthday to one of the greatest men I've known. I'm sure he and my dad are enjoying a meat pie together!!

Kate said...

i love this em. and i love that you having baby #2. congrats! miss you.

heather said...

You constantly bring a smile to my day Emily. Thanks for sharing this - they are beautiful feelings and thoughts. Loves!

THE BELL HOUSE BLOG said...

Gosh that left me with moist eyes! Love you, was thinking about you this week. Wish I could drop everything and fly to Chicago to spend a week with you. I would take Norah to the park and let you sleep while we cleaned the house. Pretend I did all that ok?! Love you sis

linzi said...

Beautiful, Em. I'm sure he is always smiling down on you! Love you.

Sarah McK said...

What a sweet post. Love you girl!!