Saturday, March 5, 2011

just talkin'



dear Norah-
Your daddy and I stayed up last night, long past you were in bed. We were both giddy with images of you filling our heads. We love how you get slap happy before you go to bed- running everywhere. Then the moment we plop you in bed (although you'd think you'd be riled-up after your daddy has turned you into a circus acrobat) you fall right asleep. We talked about your loving nature: your kissing and rubbing of Jude's head after he bonked it, you trying to "clean him up" with your wet wipes, the hugs and kisses you so freely give all of your friends. We talked about your intuitive and inquisitive nature: the way you pick up the tune to songs like it is nothing, or how you have to explore and discover everything.
You were born with these attributes Norah. That to me, is a testament of the fact that we have individual, divine and eternal spirits. I'm learning more and more how important it is to accept those positive, yet different attributes we come with. One of my very best friends is in some ways the opposite of me. One of her strongest attributes is that she is a bit more reserved and very feminine- all around endearing. One of my opposite attributes is that I at times, am loud, silly and very jovial. That is who my spirit longs and yearns to be, but sometimes I desire to be more endearing like my friend- someone everyone can get along with (although she wouldn't agree with that.) I have found through experience though, it is best to not try to change those spirit-defining attributes and rather strive only to make the weak attributes become strong. I remember in the MTC hearing about the importance of "quiet dignity" all the time. I had a teacher who would not stop reminding us (me) of those two words. I remember trying for so long to try to mold myself into something I wasn't, only to realize that God called me with my distinct personality and knew I could reach certain people. God loves me for who I am, with all my idiosyncrasies; just as I love you, Norah 100+ percent. So I once again, will remind myself to be who I am and put away my yearnings to be like others. I want you to be who you are and so I will continue to be who I am and surround myself with good, uplifting friends, who can bring attributes to my life, that are not exactly like mine.
I love you bean-bug.
mommy

6 comments:

Brian and Emily Blewitt said...

Isn't she so cute!

Sarah McK said...

What a beautiful letter! I agree wholeheartedly about personality attributes being given to us from God. I have a friend with a very timid, quiet little girl and she says that Callum is rowdy because he's a boy and that I'm only so laid back because he's a boy, but I would be more cautious with a little princess. Ha! I always have to try not to laugh. My sisters and I were the wildest, spunkiest toddlers on Earth! Rachel was born in an ambulance (true!), and my mom always said, "She came out running and she never stopped!" I will never be the quiet, sweet girl who intimidates no one and gets along with all, but I am blunt and straightforward and good at communicating with large groups without coming across as offensive. Different strokes for different folks! Love you!

linzi said...

The qualities you named are a few of the characteristics that I absolutely love about you! I love them! You have so many gifts and so many ways to reach out and touch people. You've touched my life, and I'm really grateful for that! Little Norah Jane has, too. Gosh I love that little girl.

sarah savage said...

dear emily-
it's been a while since we've talked! but i was thinking about you yesterday in church. our RS lesson was about service and i was just remembering what a good friend you were to me when we lived closeby. thank you for your notes, your help, our chats, and your friendship. you are a true friend and i love you just how you are!!

Matson Family said...

Emily I love you and love your wisdom insight and sensitivity. Bless you dear sister. xoxoo

Anonymous said...

Very, very well said. I loved this letter to your little lady. Something I definitely needed to hear today. Miss you Em.